Thursday, June 25, 2009

My go-to quick lunch

My inaugural post for the website! Until recently, we have not had a dishwasher (living on a university campus will do that for you) and we had a meal plan, so cooking wasn't big for us. Now that we live in an off-campus apartment, we've started cooking a lot more.

That said, I don't like to mess with much for my lunches. I want something that I don't have to do much with besides heat up, but I don't do processed food lunches.

Jamie's Lunch Pasta

Cook up a bunch of penne pasta. I use whole grain, and half a box lasts me for about three meals, with fairly reasonable portions. Generally, I cook it and then just put all of it in the fridge.

The night before, I put about a third of the penne into a microwave safe container, put in a big handful of leafy spinach, and a combination of these ingredients:

leftover chicken breast, cut into pieces
sundried tomatoes
pine nuts
blue cheese
feta cheese
shaved parmesan cheese
olives
etc.

The key to this is that you can put in whatever, and provide a little variety each day with little to no effort.

In the morning, I put a little olive oil and some kosher salt in with it, seal it up, and bring it to work. A minute in the microwave heats the pasta and the oil, wilts the spinach leaves, and melts the cheese, giving you a cheesy olive oil sauce to mix up with it.

Easiest lunch I've ever made.

2 comments:

The Bouldins said...

YEAH!!! a new post! and a yummy one!

maybe this will shame me into posting ...

BB said...

Jamie, that sounds great! I'll have to try that.