Monday, July 13, 2009

Pestos

For two years or more, my pesto has been an ongoing topic of discussion between Joanna and I. I claim it is way better than any storebought pesto (which it is).

So, thanks to a comment from Jo on my other blog prompting me to post this, here it is, ripped completely from Rachael Ray's original Thirty Minute Meals (p. 46, if you must know):

Classic Basil Pesto

1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 lb. grated Parmesan cheese
3 oz pine nuts (a handful)
2 cloves garlic, popped from skin
1 bunch basil (40-50 leaves)

Heat garlic and oil in microwave for 20 seconds.

Pulse all ingredients in food processor until paste forms.

Serve pestos at room temperature over hot pasta. A little goes a long way. Definitely don't dole it out like you would tomato-based sauce. I use about a tablespoon for a whole plate of pasta. Just mix it up well.

If you're tempted to buy basil in the produce section, trust me, just skip that and buy a basil plant in the garden section. Gives you all the leaves you need for cheaper, and you can plant the plant to boot.

To change it up a bit, use half the amount of basil leaves and replace it with a handful of sun-dried tomatoes. This is actually my favorite way of doing it.

2 comments:

The Bouldins said...

I believe the conversation is that you lived here for TWO YEARS and only made the pesto for me ONE TIME ... and I was in my first trimester and horribly nauseous at the time. Just sayin'

JB said...

Now I have given you the tools to make it without me, though it'd be much more fun to make it WITH me, or at least for me to make it FOR you, I know :)