Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Teriyaki-Glazed Burgers

serves four

One from Real Simple magazine. I just needed something for dinner that used ground beef, but wasn't meatloaf or some homemade form of Hamburger Helper. Oh, and if it broke out of the Italian theme I've got going lately, all the better. We did not serve ours on English muffins. The kids and I ate ours without buns and Dave used slices of bread. I also didn't trouble with the tomatoes or cucumber. Instead I heated up some leftover fries from Chik Fil A and called it good. We just bought a cheap jar of Kroger brand teriyaki sauce.

Results: The flavor wasn't very teriyaki. If I make these again (and I might since I have most of a bottle of teriyaki sauce left), I think I'd mix in some teriyaki sauce with the meat when forming the patties. We liked the flavor, there just wasn't enough of it :)


1 1/2 pounds ground beef
Kosher salt and pepper
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
4 English muffins, split
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
3 Kirby cucumbers, cut into spears


Heat grill to medium-high. Form the beef into four 1/2-inch-thick patties and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Grill the burgers to the desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium, basting with the teriyaki sauce during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Grill the English muffins until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side.

Sandwich the burgers in the muffins. Serve with the tomatoes and cucumbers.

No comments: