Thursday, November 19, 2009

Spinach for breakfast

A friend of mine from college also has a cooking blog (Nothing Special, But It Sure Is Good) and she posted a recipe for a spinach and banana smoothie the other day.

Now, I love raw spinach. We currently have a bag and a half of it sitting in the fridge that I fully know will be gone in the next week or so. But spinach for breakfast? ... Is awesome :)

Basic Green Monster Smoothie (via Stephanie's blog and greenmonstermovement.com)

2 cups raw spinach
1 to 1.25 cups low fat or fat free milk
1 Tbsp flaxseed (optional) - I actually used wheat germ -J
1 banana
ice

Place the ingredients into the blender in the following order: 1) Flax, 2) spinach, 3) banana, 4) milk. The reason for this order is so the heavier ingredients weigh down the flax and spinach and keep it from flying up around the blender and sticking to the side. Blend everything on the highest setting for 1 minute or so. Finally, add ice and blend on the ice setting.

1 comment:

The Bouldins said...

Um, so ... apparently raw spinach is one of those things that can give you major, painful gas. The kind that, if you are Julia, you wake up in the middle of the night crying and end up spending two hours squirming around asking your Mommy to rub "my belly ... no, my back ... no, my belly" until you finally let out a M.A.S.S.I.V.E. fart and go back to sleep.

Who knew?