Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Basic Tomato Sauce

makes six cups

We'll give this one from Everyday Food a try. I've been looking for a good tomato sauce. We eat a ton of pizza and spaghetti in this house so if I could find one that could do double duty, that'd be great. I'll even settle for a good sauce that I can add things to depending on the need: mushrooms for Dave, pizza seasoning for pizzas, etc. So this is on my list to make when I have some time ... I'll let you know how it is in a couple of years.


1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
2 cans (28 ounces) whole tomatoes in juice
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Coarse salt and ground pepper


In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Cook 1 small diced onion and 2 minced garlic cloves, stirring frequently, until translucent, 2 to 4 minutes.

Add two 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes in juice and 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano. Simmer, stirring occasionally, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon, until thickened, 20 to 30 minutes. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper.

No comments: