Monday, January 26, 2009

Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds

makes two cups

I got this recipe out of my Mennonite cookbook, More With Less. I get my pumpkin seeds already shelled from a local co-op and I also buy my shelled sunflower seeds there. I don't make a huge effort to look for shells in the sunflower seeds; I just kind of keep an eye out during the stirring portions of the recipes. Julia and Dax love these.

I suppose you could make them with olive oil rather than butter. I haven't. I like butter. And you don't have to use these seasonings, either. Feel free to branch out.


2 cups seeds (I use pumpkin and sunflower seeds)
1 TBS butter
1 teas Worcestershire sauce
a bit of garlic powder, onion powder and seasoned salt (I use Lawry's)


Turn the oven to 250 degrees.

Put the seeds in a bowl.

Melt butter then stir in Worcestershire sauce and seasonings (to taste). Pour onto seeds. Stir and dump onto cookie sheet. Spread into thin layer.

Cook for one hour (or until toasty brown), stirring every 15 minutes or so.

Cool and eat!

No comments: