Thursday, January 1, 2009

Creamy Orzo

serves four

This is a recipe from one of the Cooking Light compilations David and Jackie give me each year. I’ve changed it a bit. I like it because you don’t have to drain the orzo. I haven’t figured out how to do that yet without losing all the pasta through the holes in the strainer. If we’re having a Greek main course, I throw in some feta when I add the salt and pepper. If we’re going Italian, I add parmesan. I cut this one in half for just the two of us with no problem.

1 Tablespoon butter
1 cup orzo
1 ¼ cup chicken broth or stock (or beef, whatever you like)
1 ¼ cup water
salt and pepper to taste

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the orzo and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in the broth and water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 or so minutes until the liquid is pretty much absorbed. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: